1.16.2012

Pregnancy Food Diary: Twenty-Two Weeks

Here is what I ate last Thursday:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, bacon, sourdough toast with butter, Earl Grey tea with raw cream and honey, kombucha

Snack: half cheese stick (the toddler at the first half), a few slices of an orange

Lunch: a baked potato topped with white bean and chicken chili, sour cream, and cheese, salad with lettuce, onion, cranberries and walnuts with homemade balsamic vinaigrette

Snack: half of a homemade cinnamon roll (definitely made with real butter!), glass of milk, decaf coffee with milk

Dinner: Clam and Oyster Chowder, sourdough corn muffins with butter and honey

Snack: apple, half a "honey wheat" bagel with cream cheese


How did I do?
(the recommended # of servings of each food is in parentheses)

Protein:  3.5 (4)
Eggs: 2 (2)
Dairy: 4 (4) 
Butter: 3 (3)
Whole Grains: 2 (2)
Refined Grains: 1.5 (0)
Veggies: 3 (3-4)
Greens: 1 (2)
Fruit: 1.5 (1)
Citrus: 0.5 (1) 
Fermented Foods: 2 (3) (kombucha and sour cream)

It's hard to know what a serving is. Mostly I just guess.

More about this day...

--I was going to make a salad for dinner but ran out of energy. It would have been nice if I'd pre-washed my lettuce.

--Our good friend brought over the most delicious cinnamon rolls. I've been enjoying them immensely, though trying not to eat them all at once. Caedmon and I shared one after he woke up from his nap as a "special treat." Caedmon kept saying "more...treat" as I was giving him bites. :)

--I put "honey wheat"in quotes because that was a store-bought pseudo-whole-grain bagel that was supposed to be a treat for Steven while I'm gone. (I'm in California right now visiting my Grandma!) But we accidentally ate them all before I left. Mostly him, but I definitely indulged. Bagels have been in my top five favorite foods (along with cinnamon rolls) since childhood. Some things never change.

--Clam and Oyster chowder is a nutritional powerhouse, so I don't feel so bad about my shortfalls on
this day! Clams are the highest source of iron you can find, and oysters are the highest source of zinc!  I don't really like oysters (at least the canned variety, I've never had fresh) but even I can put up with them in this delicious soup.

How am I doing on my goals?
Last week I posted a few wellness goals. So here's how I've done in the last week:


1) Get to bed earlier. 

I'm writing this at 11 PM, so clearly I'm not doing the best on going to bed early. But I've been traveling and that messes everything up. I'll try to get into a better rhythm when I return home!

2) Take supplements throughout the day.
I'm doing better with this but not ideal. I'm so forgetful! I always remember right before I go to bed.

3) Drink pregnancy tea.
I only made it once in the last week. Oops. But I made 4 cups and drank it over two days.

4) Make (almost) all grains soaked, sprouted, or soured.
I baked bread, naan (recipe coming later this week!), corn muffins, apple crisp, and quiche last week. And they were all soaked our soured. Yay! I also made soaked oatmeal and ate whole wheat sourdough bread from Trader Joe's. So I think my only exceptions have been the bagels and cinnamon rolls. :)

5) Eat those greens!
I have had some really good days of 2-3 servings of greens, and days like today with none. I'm trying to be more consistent!


If you are pregnant, what are you eating? I'd love to hear about it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm 22 weeks pregnant right now! I haven't been keeping a food diary but maybe I'll start soon. I think I'm eating a balanced diet, but it's not likely that I'm getting enough protein since I tend to feel hungry most of the time. I've been eating a lot of cucumbers and tomatoes (from the garden), plenty of raw milk and homemade granola, and fresh berries and other fruit.

    ReplyDelete